Wednesday 3 June 2015

How to install Ubuntu on the HP Stream 11

The HP Stream 11 is a great, low-cost PC which is marketed as an alternative to Chromebooks. Despite shipping with Windows 8.1 the HP Stream is able to run Ubuntu almost flawlessly. The installation process however is not as easy as just pressing install, there are a number of things you will have to do to prep your HP Stream 11 for Ubuntu.

Stage 1: Download Ubuntu and put it on a flash drive 

Ubuntu 14.04 can be downloaded HERE and the pen-drive linux software (for Windows) can be downloaded HERE
Make sure to download the 64-bit version as it is the only one that will work properly with the Stream 11

Stage 2: Disable secure boot on your laptop and change the boot order

Secure boot will stop the Ubuntu installation from working, you'll need to disable it. Instructions for doing so can be found HERE

You will also want to change the boot order to tell the PC to boot from a flash drive rather than the built-in EMMC. This isn't necessary but makes the process easier if something goes wrong. Both of these can be found in 'Boot Options' in the system configuration.

Remember to put the boot order back to its original settings after you have installed Ubuntu

Stage 3: Boot from the Ubuntu flash drive and install the OS

I recommend using the whole drive as the 32GB EMMC will fill up quickly and with the way in which the drive is partitioned makes dual booting Windows and Ubuntu a pain. This is entirely your decision, however I couldn't get the Ubuntu install to work until I told it to take up the whole drive and erase Windows.

Stage 4: Install Updates

This is really a must for any OS install but is necessary for Ubuntu to operate smoothly on the HP Stream. Installing all these available updates will drastically cut start up and shut down times as well as improving general performance.

Stage 5: Put this into the terminal

While the HP Stream seems to work perfectly with Ubuntu the first issue I noticed is that the card reader won't work. However inputting 'sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils' into the terminal will allow the card reader to function again.

I aim to update this guide as I continue to use the Stream with Ubuntu if you want to roll back to Windows I would urge you to create a recovery drive with Windows' built in tools prior to Ubuntu installation.

UPDATE 1: 

I have been using the Stream with Ubuntu for just over 24 hours now and am pleased to report that the brightness, volume and media controls on the function keys all function perfectly in Ubuntu. The only shortcoming being that the red light on the mute button (F6) no longer lights up when the volume is muted. Pressing the Airplane Mode button (F12) will toggle WiFi on and off. I am yet to encounter any problems that prevent the Stream from being useful.
I have installed Google Chrome, Spotify and a number of other apps, however I cannot get AVG antivirus to install and Skype logs me out every time I close it.

Please Note: I cannot be held responsible for any issues that you run into during this installation. I am merely documenting how I installed Ubuntu on my Stream 11. Any issues can usually be resolved on the Ubuntu forums. 

16 comments:

  1. Hi there, I am planning to buy this device. I have been reading a lot of reviews and people are telling that they faced the problem after installing ubuntu. . Boot up time increased and some IO read error n blah blah.. but from review looks like it works fine for you.. can you tell me any performance issues you found out yet.. i mean how much is the boot time all d hardware is working fine or not and how the device is behaving after 14.04.. thanks in advance.. please reply..
    i want to buy it for my training of device drivers.. dont want to carry my laptop evwrywhere.. thats u.. waiting fr reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      When I first installed Ubuntu I did have some issues with performance (general use as well as boot times) however after I installed updates (via the Ubuntu Software Updater) and restarted the laptop it was much faster. The device seems to be running perfectly so far

      Delete
    2. thanks mate,

      still confused in my mind, to buy it or not. here in india, it costs abt 20000/- INR ...
      looking for something portable, which can run ubuntu in good manner. Cost is 20k just because of windows 8.1 OS, which anyhow is not a reqmnt for me, thats the confsing part basicly,,,

      anyhow thanks for reply... (Y) cheers... :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its very good thanks for your information these very helpful for me.


    HP Envy 4520 Software Download


    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Laura well and she is principled, thoughtful, and extremely bright...more power to her!


    123 HP Setup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a good collections.its very helpful for me again thank you.
    123.hp.com/envy4520


    ReplyDelete
  6. If you search best technical support for TurboTax Support and Office.com/setup then you can visit here and resolve you problem immediately. Because our expert always provide the best and satisfy solution.

    Office.com/setup
    TurboTax Support
    123hp.com/setup

    ReplyDelete